We all like to smile, which why it’s never fun to have to hide our teeth due to stains! Luckily, there are several ways to prevent stains from ruining your pearly whites.
Let’s examine some foods and drinks that cause tooth discoloration and how you can avoid the embarrassment.
Foods and Drinks that Cause Tooth Stains
A common rule of thumb that will help you identify staining sustenances is to ask, “would this stain my clothes?” If the answer is yes, then there is a good chance this will also cause oral imperfections. Common culprits include:
- Soy sauce
- Dark beverages like tea, coffee, cola, red wine, grape juice, and cranberry juice
- Tomato sauce
It’s hard to avoid foods and drinks that stain, but there are ways to reduce the likelihood of permanent damage besides giving them up! It’s always a good practice to rinse your mouth thoroughly after you eat.
Five Methods to Reduce Stains
The fight for perfect pearly whites isn’t easy, but there are simple habits you can adopt to maintain a healthy, bright smile.
Let’s take a look:
- Try a Straw. Straws act as a funnel mechanism that can actually cut back on the amount of time your teeth are exposed to your staining beverage.
- Water is Your Friend. When we drink staining beverages, we should also incorporate water into the mix. Not only will this keep you extra hydrated, but it will rinse and rid your mouth of staining residue.
- Avoid Smoking. There are plenty of reasons to refrain from smoking, but here’s another: cigarette and chewing tobacco can cause serious stains.
- Follow Up with a Brush and a Floss. The more time that staining foods and drinks remain in your mouth without a cleaning, the more likely your teeth will be affected.
- Visit your Dentist Every 6 months. Scheduling an appointment every 6 months will help you maintain a fresh, white smile that is free of plaque buildup.
Foods that Help Remove Stains
There are plenty of creative ways to reduce staining by choosing foods that help produce saliva.
- Shitake Mushrooms
Looking for another healthy food capable of whitening? Try citrus fruits. But, keep in mind that acidic foods, like citrus fruits, can soften your enamel. We suggest you wait 30 minutes post-consumption before picking up your toothbrush.
Looking for a quick solution for existing tooth stains? Learn more about how we can cosmetically whiten your teeth quickly, so you can show off your smile.