Tips for Conquering Your Fear of the Dentist

October 28, 2022

scared of the dentistIf you experience anxiety when the mere thought of going to the dentist, we want to tell you that you are not alone. It may not come as a surprise that 80% of Americans encounter feelings of distress and anxiety on some level when going to the dentist. The remaining 20% experience a level of anxiety where they will not go to the dentist unless it is absolutely necessary.

What does this mean for you? It means that feeling uneasy about going to the dentist is absolutely normal and you should not feel ashamed about your emotions. Conquering your fear is essential to your health, typically when people experience fear they avoid doing the task they are afraid of. Unfortunately, avoiding dental visits can lead to serious oral health issues.

Why Do People Fear The Dentist

No matter what your reason is for dreading your annual dentist check-up, it is valid, and determining the “why” is the first step in conquering your fear. Studies have determined some of the major reasons why people have anxiety about the dentist. We are going to deep dive into why and how you can overcome them.

Previous Bad Experience

If you have encountered a negative experience with a previous dental practice we are so sorry that you had to go through that and want you to know, you deserve better. The good news is, there is better.

Before making an appointment call your dental office of interest and speak with staff to determine if they are accommodating and friendly. You can also check google or yelp for real client experiences.


You may have experienced pain with a procedure in the past that was painful such as tooth removal, root canal, or a cavity. Modern technology has evolved to a point where it allows procedures to be less invasive, less painful, and involve less downtime.

Find a dental office that has the latest technology like GVR dental to ensure you have a comfortable visit.

Loss of Control & Fear of the Unknown

Some people fear the loss of control even more than pain. There is no doubt that it is scary to be in a vulnerable position as a dentist works in your mouth. Dental offices have become accommodating to people who experience anxiety and offer amenities to make you feel comfortable.

Ask your office of interest if they have accommodating amenities such as eye masks, noise-cancellation headphones, or a TV in the room for you to place your focus elsewhere and feel more comfortable.

Also, feel free to ask a friend or family member to come with you to make you feel more comfortable during your visit.


You may think that your oral care has been neglected for too long to visit a dentist. Dentists are here to help you with your confidence and smile. Preventative care and diagnosis are the only ways to stop oral issues from progressing and get you back on track to healthy oral care.

Start Your Journey to a Healthy Smile

We are here to help you through this journey and have everything you may need to handle all your dental needs in one location. Schedule an appointment or contact us today to discuss any concerns you may have, our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.